Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Bonding Experience


As I mentioned in my first post, my military experiences had the profound effect of distancing me from my family. There were two young boys, in the prime of there learning years, who needed guidance and confidence. It tore me up that I could not get past the barrier which they had set up in wake of my hardened soul. I was sitting out in the garage one day when my younger son walked out and sat down in a chair. He just sat there and watched me reline my fishing pole, with the most intrigued look on his curious little face. One of the times I peered up at him, our eyes crossed paths. I gave him a wink, and a big smile stretched out between his cheeks. Without words, he got up from the chair, walked over, and positioned himself with his back facing me. He put his little hands into mine and said, “Can you show me how to do that.” Together we finished the task while we exchanged question after question for answer after answer. I told him that my favorite fish was the mighty striped bass. He looked up at me and asked if he could come with me next time I went fishing. I stood up and took his hand, and we went right then. That first time we fished, I instinctively felt that I needed to be right there helping him with every step, until he sighed and said, “Daddy, I won't catch anything if you keep talking.” After calming myself from a good laugh I slid over to give him room, and watched him test out his new skill. After a few moments past, my eyes were fixed on the water while I pondered over the flood of thoughts that filled my head. Then with a loud shriek he exclaimed, “I caught a giant striped bass,” at which time I looked over to see the sight that is in the picture above. I didn't have the heart to tell him that he caught more bait. His eyes were full of pride and his feet floated on clouds. This was the first of many experiences between him and I, as well as with my older son, that taught me about the kind of father and the kind of man I wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment